Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

Connectivism


Click Image to enlarge


Connectivism
Connectivism is driven by the understanding that knowledge is just based on an individuals on personal experiences but of a network of individuals with diverse characteristics. Additionally, the learner needs the ability to recognize when new information alters the landscape based on decisions made yesterday (Siemens G. 2004).  That based on technological landscape of environment what may have been a fact yesterday may not hold true today based on changes in that landscape.

Connectivism has three components Chaos Theory, Importance of Networks and Complexity of Self-Organization (Davis, C., Edmunds, E., & Kelly-Bateman, V. (2008). My main focus “Importance of Networks which is basically connections between entities by using people, technology, social structures and learning communities all in a matrix environment all overlapping.
As I created my mindmap I really started to see how my network has changed the way I learn. Prior to starting my program at Walden I relied heavily on my network in the workplace for much of my learning.  It’s almost like a light bulb went off and now I learn so many different channels that weren’t uncovered or linked to the learning at work. Even though I learned through the World Wide Web I didn’t take advantage of all the resources it has available. 
The best digital tools that facilitate my learning are the blogs I read and collaborate with other learning professionals. This mechanism really opened my eyes to learning and others view points of learning, news and trends in the industry that I never knew about.  I’ve always shunned away from blogs and felt like it was a way for people just to hear themselves talk. I know…..I know, there is so much value in this digital tool that challenges me to look through a different lens.

As my network continues to grow and I learn more and more about learning and instructional design I’ve found it much easier to ask questions to gain knowledge through any of the links in my network.  I would consider myself a relatively new instructional designer and I often look to my classmates for their perspectives and what works best in their working/professional environment.  I typically use the discussion board to ask meaningful questions that I can take and build upon my current knowledge of a particular subject. In most instances in our discussions we are faced with a decision-making process and if I don’t read a decision in the initial discussion I ask the end result.

Based on my learning of connectivism my personal network supports many of its principles.  Much of my learning is through the connections I've gained through work, Internet and my professionals associations. I maintain those connections specifically through my professional associations by following the association's meetings and various topics the interest me. For example ASTD (American Society of Training and Development) is a large organization for learning and development professionals. I continue my learning by selecting what it's important to me as an instructional designer and what I want to learn more about.  I also subscribe to the ASTD blog and even some of its celebrity bloggers. 
References:

Davis, C., Edmunds, E., & Kelly-Bateman, V. (2008). Connectivism. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Connectivism

Siemens G. 2004. Connectivism:  A learning Theory for the Digital Age.  Retrieved from http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.87.3793&rep=rep1&type=pdf
Graphics:
social network- artmarketblog.com
workplace-allsteeloffice.com

No comments:

Post a Comment